String Breakage

Antares antares@EURONET.NL
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 16:55:27 +0000

Greetings to all!

I have been following this topic somewhat.

Our church's M & H, as some of you may know, breaks strings like crazy.
This is a problem related to hard hammers, improper work done, etc.  My
playing doesn't help matters any either.  I don't see how the damper pedal
can attribute to string breakage.  Can someone please explain this?

Antares writes back :

You already gave the answer in saying "This is a problem related to hard
hammers, improper work done, etc."

Matthew:

Here is another question I have...

How come I break strings so easily on the M & H, and I can practice and play
the living daylights out of a 1901 Story and Clark upright (original parts),
and not even stir the tuning job?  Now I understand that the M & H needs
work done on it to prevent string breakage, longer tuning stability, etc.,
but this Story and Clark has been sitting and hardly had any work done to it
(a tuning once a year), much longer than the M & H has or ever will.

Antares writes back :

It might indeed have to do with the extreme angle of the strings going under
the capo bar, but it could also very well be that the strings are rusted or
older?
I have a customer with such a M&H. The customer is a professional with a
heavy hand, the strings are rusted and old and...PANG! there we go.....again
and again.
I told her to have it restrung and more, because otherwise, the M&H is a
diamond.

One more question in this missive...
.
What can cause a hammer shank to crack from dynamic playing rather than the
string breaking?

Antares writes back :

What goes first? steel or wood?
But if and when a "pianist" breaks shanks, that pianist is a gorilla, and I
would call the paramedics

Friendly greetings
from
Antares