Twist and Shout (not really technical)

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 15:02:27 EST

diskladame@provide.net writes:

<< Hi ListMates --

 Listen to the technician shout as the piano twists!!

 The other day I had the experience of attempting to tune a console made by
 Grand.  It was a miserable experience at best.  This was among the hardest
 pianos to stabilize thanks to its uncanny ability to squirm no matter how
 minute the tweaking of the tuning pins might be.  It didn't help any that
 there were numerous other technical difficulties present.

 I've suggested to the customer that a replacement be found before the next
 round of Holidays, especially since this piano had no sentimental value
 attached.

 Z! Reinhardt RPT >>

This comment is not intended as a disagreement with what Zen just said, but
she does make a comment to which I must respond.

Not all pianos are created equal. We all agree with that. However, to the
every day, common variety brand of consumers, that statement is not true. It
is not until we get into, what I would call, the more learned piano players,
will we find consumers who cannot distinguish between the different quality
of pianos.

I find this often, not just with my own clients, but also with those coming
to the store looking to buy a piano. About 25% -- 30% , (roughly guessing),
of my clients have, what Zen describes, a piano that almost doesn't qualify
as one. But to the owner of such a piano, it is a wonderful instrument.

Not until a customer asks my opinion will I recommend to the customer that a
different piano is needed. And then only if it is untuneable, and/or
unplayable. And I would not qualify an unstable piano that Zen described as
an untuneable piano. It might be difficult for us to tune, but as long as the
tuning satisfies the customer's needs, then the piano is "tunable."

I think we all tend to be a little too critical of pianos that are not up to
our expectations. Unless a piano is literally falling apart, or if you can
see that a young piano player in the family needs a better piano, do the best
you can with what you've got, and let the customer make the fist move towards
purchasing a better instrument.

Just my 2 cents worth

Willem