String Breakage

ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 16:22:38 EST

Matthew,

My opinion is the strings break readily on the Mason because of damage
already done.  The former technician reshaped the hammers (poor job), but the
damaged strings remain.  The piano has excessive hammer blow distance.  When
I was there to see it I noticed the action totally out of regulation.  So
that you have no evenness to the touch.  Control is a big problem.  The piano
plays like a tank.  It needs the work I described to you desperately.  There
is no magic formula short of the proper work done on a consistent basis with
a quality technician monitoring the piano.  Hammer shape, string height, and
regulation should be maintained.

Sorry to keep singing the same song Matthew.

Ed
<<
 How come I break strings so easily on the M & H, and I can practice and
 play the living daylights out of a 1901 Story and Clark upright
 (original parts), and not even stir the tuning job?  Now I understand
 that the M & H needs work done on it to prevent string breakage, longer
 tuning stability, etc., but this Story and Clark has been sitting and
 hardly had any work done to it (a tuning once a year), much longer than
 the M & H has or ever will.

 One more question in this missive...
 .
 What can cause a hammer shank to crack from dynamic playing rather than
 the string breaking? >>