Wham Bang

ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 16:13:53 EST

Matthew,

Dynamic range is important while playing gospel music.  I feel the problem
sometimes is over use of the LOUD pedal.  Some may call it a sustain pedal.
In gospel choruses today we play lots of pedal tones driving the same bass
notes over and over with the dampers up.  Slapping and slapping the strings
as they are in every phase of vibrating.  This causes a whipping action and
can in time weaken the strings at some bearing points.  I would say to you
... be careful not to over use the pedal.  I would also encourage the church
to OK the work order I gave you so that you can start over with a better
regulation and better hammers.  This will get you a long way ahead.

Ed Tomlinson