String Breakage

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 15:00:06 -0700 (MST)

Hi Matthew:

The reason strings are more likely to break under excessively heavy playing
while the sustain pedal is down is that the hammer may hit the string when
it is already in vibration and is at the extremity of its amplitude in
the same direction which the hammer is travelling.

Please consider this for your future playing style. If you want a piano
which has good duration (singing quality), you will have a higher tension
scaling. If you want a piano which can handle the heavy playing, you must
sacrifice the beauty of tone. Your choice. You can't have both in the same
piano. The old Story & Clark upt. doesn't get the heavy playing which
the M&H grand gets; the action does not allow it.

Jim Coleman, Sr.