String breakage in relation to hammer mass

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 20:08:08 EST

In a message dated 11/28/1999 5:26:32 PM, pianoserv440@juno.com writes:

<< For what it is worth that formula E=mc^2, for which Einstein is
justifiably accredited,  deals with the energy that is theoretically
available if any mass is converted into energy.  For just that reason
this formula does not apply to piano hammers as they are not being
CONVERTED into energy - as if they were there wouldn't be a hammer left.
It does apply to things such as nuclear reactions, explosions, and the
likes.   Sunday ramblings............. >>

<< Brian H. said.."PS,  Jim's formula: E = mc2  (energy = mass x speed of
light2) would have little to do with the breaking string problem methinks -
BH. ">>

John, Brian H.;
What I said was:
"The short answer is yes. The long answer is yes, *explained* by
E=MC(squared) :-)"
As there are only two known ultimate meaures of speed i.e. 'zero' and the
'speed of light' all speeds are 'realtive' to those two.............besides
this formula explains what happens when a nuclear reaction takes place.. IT
BREAKS THINGS!!!.. and we are talking about 'broken' strings..Huh??? :-))))
An aside, though related, question(s)...do piano strings  break without heat?
if so, how? and if not, where did that heat come from or go to? do wool
fibers break without heat? if so, how? if not, where did that heat come from
or go to?

Ammunition for argumetation that I will not use:
<<"Einstein mass-energy relation E = mc2, where E is the energy and m the
relativistic mass.">>
<<"According to the special theory of RELATIVITY, mass increases with speed
according to the formula m = m0/÷(1-v2/c2), where m0 is the rest mass (mass
at zero velocity) of the body, v its speed, and c the speed of light in
vacuum.">>
{note that should have a square root sign but I don't know where it is on the
keyboard}

And I think Brian Trout is correct when he says:
 "In this formula, it is demonstrated that an increase in mass will also
bring about an increase in energy if the formula is to remain valid.  Any
change on one side of the "=" sign would also need to be reflected on the
other side of the "=" sign to maintain the ratio implied."

 And as Einstein would have said, probably, "the relativeness of these
formulae to breaking piano strings is relative to the understanding of
relationships within relativity"
 Of course we would not have understood that right away so I will retract my
simile of E=MC2 and say instead....... that a heavier hammer struck with a
measurable force will break more strings than will a lighter hammer struck
with the same force................but I don't care......... we are going to
the Sugar Bowl to play Virginia Tech anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)))))
Jim Bryant (FL)