Twist and Shout (not really technical)

Maxpiano@AOL.COM Maxpiano@AOL.COM
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 20:49:19 EST

In a message dated 11/28/99 10:56:30 AM Eastern Standard Time,
diskladame@provide.net writes:

<< The other day I had the experience of attempting to tune a console made by
 Grand. >>

My condolences.  The Grand Piano Company is fortunately defunct.  A local
piano dealer (a Mr. W......) who now imports pianos wholesale from China,
claims to have founded the Grand Piano Company in Morganton, NC back in the
'60's to fill a niche in the market.  I met him after Marantz/Superscope
bought him out in order to build pianos with the Pianocorder installed.

I tuned another of his neglected jewels just two days ago, about 1/4 tone
pitch raise.  Don't recall that it squirmed around and I didn't yell, but
neither did I rave about the tone of this bottom-of-the-line instrument.  Or
by "squirm" did you refer to the tendency for unisons not to stay put,
especially when the tuning pin alignment was so far off that strings of the
top row had to zig-zag around the middle/bottom row of tuning pins, on their
way to the speaking length?

The same piano can be found with the names "Westbrook," "Brentwood,"
"Kincaid" and "Betsy Lynn" -- and possibly others -- oh yes, and "Marantz."

Bill Maxim
South Carolina