Yamaha Mute Rail

Dpshans@AOL.COM Dpshans@AOL.COM
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 22:30:28 EST

Dear List:

       I'm scheduled to look at a Yamaha U1 for a new client.  They claim
that with the mute rail in the "on" position the hammers from the upper tenor
to the high treble seem to block, and not return.

       I asked them by phone to look, and they say the hammers seem to be
striking in the center of the mute felt, so it wouldn't seem like a case of
the hammer tops getting stuck against the bottom of the felt.

       Having not seen that many U1's, and not observing this before, it
sounds a bit puzzling.  Client is very happy with the piano when the mute
rail is not in use.  Has anyone dealt with this before?  Any good repair
ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Dan Dannenfelser
Sacramento, CA