What would you do?

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 07:23:38 -0600

Jarred,

I have heard that tapping the pins slightly will sometimes help on the
little beastie Pearl Rivers.  If it is not likely that this new piano will
be replaced, and there are just a few pins loose, you can use CA glue
(Superglue).  Turn the pin counterclockwise enough to remove the coil.  Then
completely remove the pin, and swab thick CA into the pinblock, using a
hammer shank or similar device.  Drive the pin back in, attach the coil, and
tune to pitch.  You may have to wait a few minutes for it to work, but
before long, that pin will be as tight as new.  You might have to tap the
pin a little to break the CA bond before turning the pin.  This takes less
than five minutes to do per pin, so it's a pretty quick repair.

Hope this helps.
John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS

P.S.  You can check the archives for previous discussion of CA glue and its
various applications.

 -----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Jarred Finnigan
Sent: Monday, November 29, 1999 2:01 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: What would you do?

  Hi list!
  I have recently subscribed to this list and before posing my little
dilemma I would just like to express how grateful I am for the great wealth
of experience that exists out there, thanks!

  I do a fair bit of tuning for one of Australia's largest piano houses and
today came across a slightly unusual problem (unusual to me anyway).  I was
pitch raising a brand new "Gors & Khalman" upright out of the "Pearl River"
factory in China (yuk, awful).  As you will know if you have ever had the
"privilege" of tuning one of these instruments they typically have extremely
tight tuning pins.  This one had very loose pins two of which would not even
hold pitch.

  Of course I have been asked to write the mandatory report.  Apart from the
obvious re-pin, what would you do?
  Any replies greatly appreciated.

  Jarred Finnigan
  APTTA    PTTG (VIC)