What would you do?

Antares antares@EURONET.NL
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 21:35:35 +0000

Hello Jarred Finnigan,
I live in Europe and work freelance for the branch office of a Piano
corporation.
My main work for them is to check on technical problems that occur every now
and then (usually due to the wrong treatment of other piano technicians).
If however a piano or a grand has a serious basic and/or structural fault, I
will definitely not attempt to put a bandaid on it.
loose tuning pins are a serious and basic fault, so, ask for a better one
and do not touch the ill one, but send it back to where it came from.

Antares

-----Original Message-----
From: Jarred Finnigan <jfinnigan@optusnet.com.au
<mailto:jfinnigan@optusnet.com.au> >
To: pianotech@ptg.org <mailto:pianotech@ptg.org>  <pianotech@ptg.org
<mailto:pianotech@ptg.org> >
Date: Monday, 29 November 1999 09:21 PM
Subject: What would you do?

Hi list!
I have recently subscribed to this list and before posing my little dilemma
I would just like to express how grateful I am for the great wealth of
experience that exists out there, thanks!

I do a fair bit of tuning for one of Australia's largest piano houses and
today came across a slightly unusual problem (unusual to me anyway).  I was
pitch raising a brand new "Gors & Khalman" upright out of the "Pearl River"
factory in China (yuk, awful).  As you will know if you have ever had the
"privilege" of tuning one of these instruments they typically have extremely
tight tuning pins.  This one had very loose pins two of which would not even
hold pitch.

Of course I have been asked to write the mandatory report.  Apart from the
obvious re-pin, what would you do?
Any replies greatly appreciated.

Jarred Finnigan
APTTA    PTTG (VIC)