Steinway B plate change

Antares antares@EURONET.NL
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 23:24:06 +0000

I have recently worked on a number of Steinway grands with hammer striking
point problems.
In all cases, the new hammers in the the problematic (third) section had to
be re-glued.
This is a fairly common procedure with many Steinway grands (even with brand
new ones right inside the factory), but it remains a time consuming and
expensive pain in the neck. I am sure this problem is due to irregularities
in the making of the frame (and) in combination with the construction of
soundboard and bridges.
It is , apparently, not so easy to make "the" perfect instrument but one
thing is always in favor of the Steinway concept : When treated "right", a
Steinway grand always has the superb tone.
Giving "any" instrument the right treatment, is yet another matter, but for
me it is "slumberland time" (for me).

antares@euronet.nl