Down-striking discovery and up-striking pianist

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 22:17:49 -0500 (CDT)

>I don't understand the BTU thing, Jim. Okay, water boils more easily at
>high altitude, because the air isn't pushing down on it so hard, so it's
>easier for the water molecules to up, up and away ... so why would it take
>more BTU's to boil?
>
>I remember which way the boiling thing goes by remembering that Tibetans
>drink their tea at boiling temperature, but don't get burnt.
>
>Susan

Correct, Susan. In the lower air pressure of higher altitude, water boils at
a lower temperature, but it doesn't take any more BTU input than to get the
same temperature rise at a higher air pressure. Pumping more BTUs into
boiling water won't raise the temperature of the water above minimum boiling
temperature at that air pressure. It just makes it boil harder. To boil
water at higher temperatures, you have to pressurize it, like in a pressure
cooker. The whole idea of pressure cookers is to cook wet (and minimize
burning), and at high temperatures (quickly, without turning food into
leather). There's also the outside chance of blowing up the kitchen, which
tends to lend an aura of relief and appreciation to a successfully pressure
cooked meal.

Hint: Pressure cooked rice is nearly idiot proof. Even I can do it.

 Ron N