Wurlitzer Grands

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 20:35:54 -0700

Regarding the quality of Young Chang, I would beware of the YC's that
come from China.  I work at the local YC dealership, and there are two
lines, one made in Korea (Pramberger) which are very good.  But the
other (China) models are not so good.  They are not as bad as others
coming from China, but they have a lot of problems in many areas.
Specifically, the strings (bass) are not always well matched, and
sometimes dead-er than a doornail.  The finish (polyester) on some of
the pianos we have seen has many defects.  Hammers too thick, and barely
able to clear each other, I could go on.  I'm sure that as time goes on,
they will get better.  Maybe we got a bum containerload, but they do
need more than a little work.
    We used to sell Samick, but dropped the line a few years ago.  The
later models weren't as good as before.   The previous models were
fairly well made, and I preferred them over YC any day.  Interestingly,
Baldwin used them to make their DH Baldwin grands.  They were more
expensive than the same model with the Samick name on it, and the DH
Baldwins had a lot of finish blemishes, whereas the Samicks were much
better in that regard.  I think Samick decided to cheapen their product
to compete, in the face of rising production and labor costs.  My $.02.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego