Hornbeam

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Sun, 03 Oct 1999 05:02:39 -0200

Mark,

Hophornbeam is ostrya virginiana, blue beech/American hornbeam is carpinus
caroliniana, Weissbuche is carpinus betulus. You can confuse the issue even
more by using their other name: ironwood.

I found moduli of rupture and elasticity for the American species, but
since both fall within the density range given, still nothing to compare
with Weissbuche.

in kg/mm^2 -
ostrya virginiana:   rupture: 10.22   elasticity: 1199
carpinus caroliniana: rupture: 8.48    elasticity: 752
vs.
acer saccharum:     rupture: 10.97 elasticity:1290

I found an Eng.- German online dictionary which verified your translations:
tensile, compressive and breaking strength, hardness. Thanks.

Clark