Q:Kranich & Bach Surprise!?

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Sun, 03 Oct 1999 22:37:33 -0200

Diane,

You mention 3 replaced wippens, but don't describe whether these are more
uneven or the condition of the original wippens themselves. Touch can be
improved in a number of ways without going through the expense and trouble of
attempting a retrofit of new parts.

I am not partial to these retrofits. I am working on one now which came here
with raw, new wippens and shanks purchased labelled as Knabe parts. They just
barely fit the geometry and themselves need considerable rebuilding. In most
cases of non-standard broken and missing wippens, I'll fabricate replacements
from scratch.

I take it the piano plays as is, and (most of) the work you describe is fairly
routine. Is the owner considering selling it in this condition or
refurbished/rebuilt/refinished? It sounds like the piano is one of a kind, or
one of a limited run but it is _only_ 6' so I would price accordingly.

Clark