Prices for rebuilding work

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 20:11:48 EDT

In a message dated 10/1/99 10:36:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
btrout@desupernet.net writes:

<< At the risk of someone yelling fire in our theater, I'd like to ask for
some input.

 I know that it can be construed as price fixing if we all get together and
agree as to a particular price we should all charge for a particular product
or service.  That ain't where I'm coming from.

 I need some perspective of what other people are charging for rebuilding
work.  A large piano store in my area has made mention of much rebuilding
work that they could 'send my way', only they have requested a 'price list'
of sorts.  I've got some ideas for much of it, but having been an employee
for so long, and not having access to the 'bottom lines', I'm a little in the
dark as to what others might be charging.

 On the one hand, I don't want to be too cheap.  If a complete bellying for a
6' grand might be considered reasonable at $4,500, I don't want to be busting
my hump trying to do these jobs for $2,500, just so I'll be the cheapest guy
in town.  On the other hand, I haven't yet established a reputation that
would allow me to charge $6,500 for the same job and expect to get it because
I can demonstrate that I'm worth it.

 I've had many discussions with this particular dealer, and although we're on
a friendly basis, I can be sure he won't be the first to start throwing out
numbers. (Isn't there an old saying about the first guy that throws out a
number loses?)  I have indicated on a number of things that I most likely
won't be the cheapest guy around, but rather he'll have a product that'll be
of very high quality, the kind worthy of a premium price.  Now, how do I
determine just what that price is... that's the six million dollar question...

 Of my local guild chapter, there's only two other people who are doing
serious rebuilding work, neither of which particularly wish to talk about
prices.

 So basically, I'm left with a situation where I'd like to find some input,
but don't particularly know where or how.

 Any figures, thoughts, ideas, or other remarks you'd like to send my way?
I'd be open to any and all of them.  If you think it's too hot a topic for
the list, feel free to e-mail me privately.

 Not wanting to stir up trouble.  Just looking for input.

 I hope you'll all have a nice weekend.

 Thanks,

 Brian Trout
 Quarryville, PA
 btrout@desupernet.net

The best way to figure out your prices is to have a guide that will help you.
 I use the "G" Piano Works Repair Labor Guide put together by Joe Garrett,
RPT.   He lists the various repairs and average rebuilding hours for each
item.  Then you can use his recommendation or your own, should you think the
hours he lists are too much or too little.  Then multiply your hourly charge
plus parts and you should have a fair price for rebuilding.  To obtain this
book, call Joe at 506-617-4713 or Randy Potter who also sells his item.

What I have done is to use my estimate form on my computer, make out a copy
and pencil in the prices I charge for each item.  It may not be complete as
some would like but for what I do it works just fine.  Then I can refer to my
penciled prices and enter them into the estimate form.  The customer will
receive a nice professional looking estimate and know exact what he or she is
paying for.

The estimate form is on the Piano Business Management templates for FileMaker
Pro that I am marketing for other technicians.

Hope this helps.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland Chapter
Oregon City, OR