Equal Beating, what does it mean?

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Sun, 03 Oct 1999 22:05:10 -0200

Ric,

Jorgensen's _Tuning_ being right next to me,

"Equal-beating temperament: any temperament that contains two or more intervals
that beat exactly the same speed. In this case, the intervals can never be the
same size." (glossary, p771)

A search of the pianotech archives leads me to believe that this definition is
more strict than what may be accepted, since I would interpret the above as
meaning different intervals (ie. octaves and fifths, fourths and fifths, etc.).

This may be useful as far as defining specific instances of EB intervals, not
accounting for inharmonicity. For EB {M3, M6} relative to a common root {P1};
interval names mean the freq. of the upper note in hz.

M6=ABS({4(M3)-[(5+5)*P1]}/-3)
P4=M6-M3
P5=2(M3)-M6
m3=2(P1)-M6

The limitation of this formula is that it will not automatically generate the
remaining notes in the scale. I'm interested to see how you are determining the other
intervals.

Conrad, could you let me know which cultures would consider what I do as normal?
(Michael:"Are you going to leave those little pink and brown blocks on the keyboard?"
"Those are keys.")

Clark