Stranger than fiction?

John Dewey jdent@soltec.net
Mon, 4 Oct 1999 21:07:11 -0500

As a teenager  one of my jobs was to mow the lawn. We had a walk behind =
mower. I cut into a piece of old hay baling wire that was laying in some =
high grass. The wire went through a heavy leather shoe and about 1 inch =
into my foot. Not an experience I would want to repeat! With the weed =
wacker I have bounced pieces plastic string off my shoes on several =
occasins and never even scuffed the leather. I would not only not let =
him have the wire but would make sure I was nowhere around when he uses =
it if he does find some. Some weed wackers make a heavy steel blade for =
rough cutting that comes with proper guards.

John Dewey
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Roy Ulrich <ulrich@rangenet.com>
    To: pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
    Date: Monday, October 04, 1999 6:10 PM
    Subject: Stranger than fiction?
   =20
    Sorry for the of topic, but let me run this by you people - I have a =
customer that wants to experiment with piano wire in his weed eater ILO =
plastic. He apparently has a machine that uses 24" x 3/8" (or so) =
plastic strands that wrap somehow around an armature adn thinks that =
piano wire would be more effective. Dare I give him a piece to =
experiment with? I'm having trouble with product liability in that =
because I know what his intended purpose is I am not without =
responsibility in selling the product for a purpose for which it is not =
intended. What if somebody gets hurt if the wire gets loose? Ideas?
    =20
    Roy Ulrich