Finishing question

Charles E Faulk cfaulk2@juno.com
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 17:47:44 -0500

We used the term "washcoat" in the factory to denote a fairly diluted
sanding sealer sprayed on after staining. Maybe it's one of those
Southern expressions, I'm not sure. Another technique we used to do was
called "glue-sizing" which basically consisted of wiping down the piano
rim with a watery hot hide glue concoction just before final sanding .
The glue sizing would raise the grain and leave a smooth matt on the
veneer after sanding.

Charles Faulk RPT