Finishing question

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 21:43:17 -0500

----------
> From: Charles E Faulk <cfaulk2@juno.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Finishing question
> Date: Tuesday, October 05, 1999 5:47 PM
>
> We used the term "washcoat" in the factory to denote a fairly diluted
> sanding sealer sprayed on after staining. Maybe it's one of those
> Southern expressions, I'm not sure. Another technique we used to do was
> called "glue-sizing" which basically consisted of wiping down the piano
> rim with a watery hot hide glue concoction just before final sanding .
> The glue sizing would raise the grain and leave a smooth matt on the
> veneer after sanding.
>
> Charles Faulk RPT

Very interesting.  I heard about glue sizing but never knew anyone to ask about it.
This is on new wood? since it is in the factory.  Was the wood filled before this
glue sizing was applied? Have you ever heard of using the sanding dust as a filler?
If so was there some kind of wet sanding process that when dried, that could be dry
sanded and the wood would be filled?
Was the glue sizing very thin and brushed on?  Was it "old"?   Was varnish or laquer
applied on this glue sizing?   Do you know about "flowing on varnish" and how it is
rubbed out? ---ric