Finishing question

Thu, 7 Oct 1999 20:37:06 -0400

Ric -

I have glue sized wood before refinishing many times.  I mix app. 8 parts
warm water with 1 part hide glue and sponge on the stripped, cleaned, and
sanded wood, then wipe off the excess.  Let it dry for a few hours or
overnight.  As Charles noted, this raises the grain, is easily sanded
smooth, and very little grain raising takes place in subsequent finish
layers.  An added benefit is that it takes dyes extremely well, and can
be very useful in allowing for an "even" absorption of color.  I have
always used shellac as a sealer coat over this, spraying it in 1 lb.
cuts, "wash coats", if you will.  I have never experienced any trouble
with compatibility of shellac with hide glue.  Shellac, in fact, seems to
be compatible with everything, if it has been dewaxed.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999 21:43:17 -0500 "Richard Moody" <remoody@easnet.net>
writes:
  I heard about glue sizing but never knew anyone