plate crack

Allan L. Gilreath, RPT agilreath@mindspring.com
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 21:21:13 -0400

Les and everyone,

There have been many good items pointed out and several solutions presented.
If everything holds until then, we're looking at having a firm present a
program in Arlington at Institute 2000 about a new way to repair cast iron
and aluminum without welding.  We certainly hope to get this lined up so
watch for the information on these classes.

Allan
Allan L. Gilreath, RPT
Assistant Institute Director
PTG Annual Convention
Arlington, VA July 5-9, 2000
Agilreath@mindspring.com
706 629-3063

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
ETomlinCF3@AOL.COM
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 1999 5:24 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: plate crack

A Tech friend of mine bought a Kawai Piano from a dealer that had a crack in
the plate at exactly that same local.  He had it welded/braised and it seems
to be holding.

Ed Tomlinson

<<
 I tuned a Kawai, KG-2D today for a church.  At the point of the
 bass/tenor bread the plate struts cross each other in an uneven "x"
 pattern.  At the keyboard end, this leaves a triangular floor in the
 plate, approximately six inches on a side and maybe four inches at the
 base.  A crack is developing along the top of that triangle, just below
 the "x" of the struts, Is this a significant problem, or is this just
 a poor weld of a relatively not-important part of the plate?

 Thanks for help.

 les bartlett
 Houston, >>