plate crack

ANRPiano@AOL.COM ANRPiano@AOL.COM
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 23:48:19 EDT

In a message dated 10/7/99 7:01:20 AM Central Daylight Time, lesbart@juno.com
writes:

<< I tuned a Kawai, KG-2D today for a church.  At the point of the
 bass/tenor bread the plate struts cross each other in an uneven "x"
 pattern.  At the keyboard end, this leaves a triangular floor in the
 plate, approximately six inches on a side and maybe four inches at the
 base.   A crack is developing along the top of that triangle, just below
 the "x"  of the struts,   Is this a significant problem, or is this just
 a poor weld of a relatively not-important part of the plate?

 Thanks for help.

 les bartlett
 houston,

Les,

There is no such thing as an unimportant crack.  I have seen small cracks
develop into catastrophic failures.  I have also seen a lot of welded cracks
reopen or spread further into the plate.  This is not a situation to ignore.
 I am not a big fan of welding cast iron unless you are in a foundry
situation instead we use a "stitching" technique.  Use a nickel alloy rod we
literally tie the pieces of metal back together.  I first saw this method in
large (30 - 60 TON) industrial presses,  comparatively speaking the stress we
deal with are much less.  If you want any further info e-mail me privately.