Finishing question

Charles E Faulk cfaulk2@juno.com
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 22:58:13 -0500

RIc,

Mark describes the process of glue-sizing very well. In the factory the
raw veneer is sized just before the final sanding. The glue/water mixture
is wiped on with a sponge and allowed to dry overnight. Walnut veneer is
very susceptible to grain raising, and this application lays a good
foundation for the subsequent finishing materials.

I've never tried glue-sizing in my present shop work. Old veneer doesn't
seem to pose the same problems that new wood does. Besides I can take my
time.

Charles Faulk, RPT