Adhesives

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 08:22:50 -0500

Clyde Hollinger wrote:

> Friends,
>
> Last week for the first time I used Vagias plastic replacement heads (the first
> time I tried this) on an old upright piano that has relatively little value.

<snip>

> Vagias recommends spraying the backs of the keytops with white lacquer, which I
> did, then using water-based contact cement.  I was unable to find any, so I used
> Weldwood Contact Cement, which is not water-based.  I spread it thinly with a
> small (3/8") flat brush on both the keytop and the wood of the key and let it dry
> at least ten minutes, then pressed them together.  There was a brush in the
> bottle but I was unable to control the amount of glue when I tried to use it.

I would HIGHLY recommend you try PVCE the next time, (Pianotek).  It is very easy to
work with, non toxic, water base, and very easy to clean up.  The bond it makes is
incredible.  Rest assured you won't need to worry about doing it again.  Another HUGE
advantage is that the parts do not have to be "exactly" lined up when you put them
together.  PVCE only has to be applied to one surface instead of two, (making a lot
less work), and you can slide the key top around a bit until it is in the right
position.  It also dries pretty quick.  Try it and you'll never use contact cement
again!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV

P.S. it can also be used for plastic sharps.  I did a set just this weekend!