Adhesives

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 09:22:49 -0700

Bill Bremmer wrote:

>>  I tend to think that the joint is still not fully cured
>> until the moisture from the white or yellow glue has been fully absorbed,
>> just as is the case when using it the standard way.  But the holding
power is
>> evident in a nice, comfortable working time rather than a few fleeting
>> seconds.

Yes, I've found that one can force the joint apart for a little while after
putting the parts in contact. It is stuck, but not as stuck as it's going to
be. We must wait to be sure of how durable these bonds are, long range,
since the technique has only recently been described for people to try.
However, I can say that I've used the "glue trick" for about seven years
now, and I've never known any of the joints to fail yet.

What surprises me, given the commonness of the two glues, is that no one
else, to my knowledge, stumbled onto this characteristic they display when
mixed.

If anyone tries using the two glues together and finds that the joint fails
later, please tell the list, giving details of the circumstances.

One real test of titebond with CA for keytops is in progress at the moment,
under very difficult conditions. When Donnie Byrd went to Cuba recently, as
part of the Tuners Brigade, she put on a whole set of keytops (plastic, I
believe) using the two glues, since they were all that was available. She
tested
them carefully every day for the ten days she was there, and they were
thoroughly
stuck down. I've asked her, if she returns next year, to see if she can find
the upright she worked on, and check if they are all still there. Given the
heat
and humidity in Cuba, plus an unknown amount of hard playing, I will be
interested
to see how they do.

>> I can also see glue combinations working in gap-filling bonds.  Any
knowledge
>> or experience with this anyone?

I've never thought of the glue trick as applying to gap-filling situations,
since
neither glue is a good gap-filler. However, I've been using the water-thin
CA.
If people are using the thick CA for gap-filling, with white or yellow glue
for
quick setup time, I'd be interested in their results. My experience has
been that
when the two glues mix, they kind of bubble and heat up, resulting in a
sort of
hard foamy stuff. When it dries it seems quite tough. Its adhesive power in
gaps
I don't know.

Susan Kline