Sheldon Smith type thoughts

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 22:07:09 -0700

James Grebe wrote:

> Hi All,
>     With this prolonged discussion on the worth and the exclusivity of one
> fine technician I would offer these thoughts, especially to the fine tuners
> who are at the beginning of their career.
> The statement was made that HE was booked up three months in advance.
> Listen to that.  Does that sound like someone you would want to emulate?
> Would it not make you very nervous to have that much work booked in advance?

> You would become a human machine with no freedom to take choices
> as they arise in your day.

James,

You are speaking, of course, from your own perspective. I didn't get the
impression that Sheldon was objecting to having all that responsibility.
Maybe there was no need for him to take time off when he loved what he
did and was greatly respected for it. Your heart doesn't take time off
from pumping your blood; it enjoys what it does very nicely. There is
nothing else for it to do. Sheldon chose piano work as his life's work
and I admire that he could be so committed to it and not hold anything
back. If only I could be so passionate about my work. I certainly would
never be bored.

I don't know what personal difficulties were responsible for Sheldon's
untimely death. He reminds me of my father who carried a terrible burden
his whole life because of a childhood tragedy. He was able to maintain
his sanity by pouring himself into music. Interesting how adversity can
provoke greatness, like an oyster, suffering from the intrusion of a
grain of sand, transforms it into a pearl.

Tom
--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT
Santa Cruz, CA