m14th test

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 21:48:29 -0700

John M. Formsma wrote:

> List,
>
> Do any of you use the m14 test while tuning the lower bass?  An example of
> this would be E1 and D3 played together, which will produce beats.  I have
> heard that the beat rate is supposed to be around 7 per second.  If you use
> this test, should the 7 bps rate (or whatever the bps is) slow down like
> tenths as you descend, or is the beat rate the same for all m14ths down to
> A0?

I have used this test on occasion. The way I heard it, the m14 should
beat similar to the M3 above the upper note (in the temperament area).
In your example, above, the m14 would be about 5-1/2 beats, in theory.

The beats slow down as you descend and I'd recommend a cross check with
other tests. It's a good way to check for smoothness.

Tom
--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT
Santa Cruz, CA