Sorry guys..

Fri, 15 Oct 1999 16:51:13 -0700

Richard,

At 08:19 PM 10/15/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Have checked this and my computer with every virus detector I have available
>and
>it seems clean. I still dont understand how this was able to access my address
>files and send itself further. Me no like. Keep your eyes on your
machines, but
>all looks safe for now.

Sounds as if someone has "spoofed" your IP address whilst you were online.
Were it me, I think I'd have a chat with my ISP and find out why their
servers are not set up to protect against "spoofing".  If they are missing
that, they are probably missing other stuff.

Can you "do" anything about it locally (on your own machine), well,
technically, yes...practically, it isn't realistic.

One good thing is to own (as in registered ownership) of (at least) two
competent AV programs, one of which scans your email and their attachments
as they come on board.  One of them needs to be able to scan the physical
system board of your computer - CheckIt Pro includes such a utility (or,
at least did a few months ago), there are others.

Another is to remember that the Internet is basically uncontrolled space.
All those fancy do-dads that send you all those fancy moving pictures
do it with the help of program hooks which can just as easily inventory
or format your whole hard drive as you can click your mouse.  While it's
cute and cuddly to do the fancy stuff, it is only personally responsible
to not keep any sensitive data (like your tax filing software) on the
same computer with which you surf.

Yet another minority view, brought to you with all best wishes for
long life, health and prosperity, by

Horace

Horace Greeley, 			email:	hgreeley@stanford.edu
CNA, MCP, RPT
Systems Analyst/Engineer		voice:	650.725.9062
Controller's Office			fax:	650.725.8014
Stanford University
651 Serra St., RM 100, MC 6215
Stanford, CA 94305-6215