Sorry guys..

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Fri, 15 Oct 1999 22:10:53 -0500

Richard & others,

Dean Thomas posted this on the humor list. Why that one, I don't know, but it
sounds very much like what you're describing.

Avery

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 23:48:35 -0500
From: Dean Thomas <deanthom@mindspring.com>
Subject: Virus Alert: VBS Freelink
Sender: owner-humor@ptg.org

    This is not a hoax and it is not a forward. Most of you know me well
enough that
if I tell you I've looked it up personally, you'll believe me. This puppy is
alive and destructive. Modestly to computers and majorly to reputations!! If
your machine is infected, it will quickly send email to your entire address
book
with a link to a XXX-rated site.
    One discussion list that I am a member of has had several of its members
infected already. I've personally received five today from various members.
Praise God it cannot come through the list itself because of listserv
protection, but several of the listers who have corresponded with me
personally
and have me in their address books have ended up sending me a post entitled
"CHECK THIS". The post is short, saying something like "Have fun with these
links. Bye." Then a link to a file called "Links.VBS" Honey, it don't stand
for
Vacation Bible School!
    The key here is to make sure NOT TO OPEN THE LINK!!! Delete the file
completely
from your inbox and from your trash box, if you have one (like in Navigator or
Communicator).
    If you're unfortunate enough to have already opened it up and
discovered that
you've been fooled, you have already also emailed your entire group of friends
to let them know about it, too. Sorry.
    No easy fix on this one yet. Norton AntiVirus with recent updates is
the best
bet so far. They are the only one making any claims.
If you want to check this out further, try this URL:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/vbs.freelink.html

Discovery date on this was July 99 and the latest info on the URL above is
October 5, 1999.
    Some of my AOL friends seem to have dodged this one. Juno users who are
EMAIL
ONLY juno users (freebies) should not be affected by this and all who use
Mac's
are also safe on this one. Everyone else, LOOK OUT!!
--
Blessings!
Dean Thomas