tensile strength formulas

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 10:32:19 PDT

List,

Can you help us convert the "N/mm2" description of tensile strength to
"lb./in2" ?   We are re-restringing a Viennese grand (Anton Pokorney)
c.1850, which appears to have been "foreshortened" around the turn of the
century.  (Several clues lead us to this conclusion including evidence that
the case has been altered, that the plate has been cut, a notation in an
inaccessible location dated 1903 and round, rather than oval, tuning pins.)
The piano is straight strung, the bass strings are brass wound uni-chords
and steel wound bi-chords. We are exploring several types of wire and find
some analayzed with the formula N/mm2 and others with lb./in2, so it is hard
to compare them.

We thank you for any light you can shed on this for us!
Jeff Williams
Diane Hofstetter