Wound Wire breakage in churchs

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 23:50:25 +0200

Phil Bondi wrote:

> Recently, I have been called to tune pianos in churchs where there was broken
> wound wire. I replaced the wound wire in one piano(Samick Grand), tuned and was
> on my way. 2 weeks later I am getting a call from that same church that there is
> another broken wire in the piano.
>
> I'm tempted to adjust let-off as to deny power to this obviously hard player.
>
> what would you do?
>
> Rook

Check for hardness in the hammers, bad shaping, too close letoff, too much dip and
or aftertouch. Only so much you can do with voicing and regulation, but what you can
get away with may help. Also.. Pitch ??  Any rust ??. Do you check the condition of
the aggraffes when the string is off after breakage ??..

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway