etd's

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 15:36:31 -0700

At 04:49 PM 10/16/1999 -0500, Richard Oliver wrote:

> My opinion of Laptops is that their life is as short as that of an insect.
> It's not because they wear out or break, somedo, it's the way software is
> requiring larger and larger harddrives and memory to run.  I think you will
> find SAT's around years after new laptops purchased at the same time are in
> the junk heap.

The lightning speed of obsolescence is certainly on observed fact,
due mainly, as you say, to "bloatware."

However, Les Bartlett was talking about a particular application,
for which only one piece of software has any relevance: the
tuning program. Assuming that he has it well backed up, I see
no reason that he could not go on and on using it, indefinitely,
stopped only by the physical failure of his laptop.

I still use the old 486 now and then, and it works as well as it
ever did, but will certainly fail some day. Hard drive? and would
the HD be replaceable five or ten years from now?

So, computer knowledgeable people, how long will a good quality
laptop pump electrons before it assumes the mental activity
level of a tea tray?

Susan