etd's

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 10:06:07 -0700

At 11:00 AM 10/18/1999 -0400, jh wrote:

> Mike, puh-leeze! It's not polite to talk about your colleagues on a public
> list!
>
> Besides, I plan to do something about my old 'puter, and John Musselwhite
> is planning to do something about his rusty Volvo... someday.

In Corvallis a rusty Volvo is the Vehicle of Choice. Definite cachet.
Practically a town symbol. The Volvo dealer told me that he found out from
Sweden that Corvallis had more registered Volvo owners per capita than
anywhere else in North America.

So with other status symbols, including an etd, in certain markets older
might be smiled upon, and convey more status than shiny-fancy-new.
Around here a Deagan fork seems to be an object of interest and approval,
in fact. "You mean you do that all by ear?" "Yup, the old-timey way ..."

Susan