Tied bass string, will it break?

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 22:18:44 -0500

----------
> From: Clyde Hollinger <cedel@supernet.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Tied bass string,  will it break?
> Date: Friday, October 22, 1999 5:58 AM
>
> Mr. Temerariousnot (Good grief where do you find these words?!) <G>,

Since you asked....... ; )

Do you mean temerariou/snot, or temerarious/not?  : )  (Both I bet ; ))
It all started when I thought there was a word...."temerious", meaning afraid.  But
the closest I found was "temerity"--- rashness; foolish boldness.  which is the
opposite.  So I went to the Big Dict.  or Web Int III. and found
"temerarious":marked by temerity....and added 'not'.

> You won't know if this string will tear again until you try it, which of course
you have to do
> and for which you need a good dose of temerariousness.  You can't leave it a
quarter-step
> flat.  If it tears, have one of those universal replacement strings handy (I keep
a whole set
> on hand although I don't like them very much), or, if the piano is worth it, send
the old
> string to a supplier to be duplicated.

Yes there is universal replacement strings , but if it ties, then that is the best.
If not then duplicating it is the next best.  So I should have yanked up the tied
string, but I got cold feet right before it reached its pitch.  I have to go back
and if it breaks upon pulling up another 1/4 tone, then they will surely be able to
afford it three years from now when their children reach that point in piano lessons
where they need F1.
	Georgious 1890 Emerson in Burled walnut.   Would make a wonderful restoration
project. But who wants "big old uprights"? ---ric