Tied bass string, will it break?

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 10:01:17 -0700 (MST)

HI Richard:

I've tied many bass strings. The one thing that makes the greatest
difference as to whether it breaks or not is the way it is pulled up.
On a vertical piano use a tuning hammer position at 2:00 O'clock. This
causes a lowering of tension at the very moment when the pin actually
turns in the pinblock (the pin is crowded down tighter in the cradle of
the pinblock hole as the pin is rotated. It then springs back up, raising
the pitch without the added stress of the bend at the coil). Using an impact
method of hammer techniques which has been explained adequately on this
list lately is very important. If you were working on a grand, you would
likewise use a 10:00 O'Clock position to accomplish the same thing.

Jim Coleman, Sr.