soundboard press

Frank Weston klavier@annap.infi.net
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 13:27:50 -0400

>Interesting thought. You could use clear plastic and do a few ribs per
>cycle to manage alignment, if doing them all at once proved to be too
>difficult. The biggest potential drawback I see is that you would be
>limited to under 15 psi clamping pressure.

My vacuum pump draws 24 inches when run continuously.  Total clamping
pressure is a function of area as well.  For a sound board of 20 sq feet,
the clamping pressure would be approximately 69,000 pounds from top AND from
bottom.   Believe me, with vacuum, you can bend sheet steel.  This kind of
force would require a pretty LARGE conventional press.

Frank Weston