Lid props (was Re: "VJ")

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 15:15:43 -0400

The negative things you describe is what I experienced, Ron, regardless of
positioning, and regardless of whether I held my mouth right. IOW, just
when I least expected it, the Schaff/S&S lid props would scoot out and
cause the lid to hit me, or knock the tuning hammer off the pin (sometimes
with resulting consequences), or at a minimum cause noise and
embarrassment. With new OR old clients, I've never enjoyed the customer
appearing after hearing the commotion and saying, "Is everything all right?"

Conversely, the props I mentioned have never caused embarrassment or
damage. They even work on the Hamilton (aka Kenworth) one-piece hood,
fallboard, and upper panel. The Kohford prop not only requires no
adjustment, it is not adjustable. I've been using it since 1970-something.
The Davis version was recently built and is only being carried for testing
at the moment. Afterwards, it will go into backup for those times I need
two pianos opened at the same time (approximately once every six months).

Perhaps your homemade version is better? Perhaps you should consider
building entire pianos instead of just lid props? Perhaps you don't use an
impact 'method' for tuning?

Jim Harvey
wonderin' if Susan thinks I ignored her request for descriptions since I
changed the subject line.