Glues/Key Buttons

Ken Jankura kenrpt@mail.cvn.net
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 00:05:20 -0400

At 10:24 PM 10/25/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Good report, Ken. Now, would you extend the thought on the -important- part
>of your message... your "simple glue-it-on-straight jig"?
>
>Thanks!
>Jim Harvey, RPT
>Greenwood, SC
>
>At 09:33 PM 10/26/99 -0400, you wrote:
>>List, I did a set of key buttons today using the CA/Titebond method, and it
>>worked great. On my simple glue-it-on-straight jig, using the glue mixture,
>>I would glue on the end button of a rack'o'buttons, hold it for 20 seconds,
>[cut]

Of course, I will try.
  My simple glue-it-on-straight jig is just a board about 8" X 12" with
closely-drawn parallel reference lines lengthwise near the front, and
closely-drawn parallel lines widthwise toward the rear. Make sure they are
perpendicular to each other. In the middle of the rear lines is a single
balance rail pin at the appropriate angle. Place the key on the pin, line
up the front of the key with the lengthwise parallel lines, and glue the
end button of the rack'o'buttons on, keeping the rack referenced to the
widthwise lines in the rear. A pencil line on the keys drawn prior to
starting is close enough to keep the buttons in a straight line front to
rear. I don't obsess over that line being perfect, and when finished, some
pin straightening/bending is required. Get the picture?
  Any tips to make the procedure better/easier/simpler/more
accurate/quicker are always appreciated. I do so much stuff on my own first
time that I'm bound to overlook the obvious.
Ken Jankura