Pin Block

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 05:51:12 -0500

Matthew Todd wrote:

> Is it possible to replace a 7 ply pin block with a 41 ply pin block??
>
> Matthew

Yasir U. Betcha!

A pin block is a pin block as long as the geometry is correct.  The
material and how it is made, however, is subject to personal opinion.  I
believe that Bulduc blocks are probably the best for high quality
instruments, as they are very consistent and are generally similar or
exceed the quality found in better pianos.  For less expensive pianos I
recommend Delignit.  They are extremely dense and hold the pins very
well.  I personally like the feel of pins in delignit.  They are also
very cost effective.  I figure if they are good enough for the Germans
it's good enough for me.  Do remember, however, you need to use a special
size bit so be sure to order one along with the block if you choose to go
this route.

At any rate as long as the dimensions are correct any block will
technically work.  If the piano has too much or too little down bearing
you can adjust the thickness slightly, (VERY slightly), which may help
improve the situation.  An easy way to do this is to notch or use thin
veneer shims respectively to accomplish this.  Just be certain that there
isn't too much under hang or the action won't fit back into the piano!
You will be VERY upset and cuss a lot if  you discover that the drop
screws jam into the bottom of the pin block.  Good luck!!

Rob Goodale, RPT
University of Nevada, Las Vegas