"Premier" grand sustain problem

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 08:26:30 -0500

 Or, has anyone tried retrofitting,
>putting a small hinge in the piece so the wood doesn't need to flex at
>all?  It looks to me like this might work and should have been done in
>the first place.  Manufacturers have come up with better systems since
>this piano was built 74 years ago.
>
>Regards,
>Clyde Hollinger

Hi Clyde,
You could replace it with a more modern configuration. A new lever of the
same overall length as the old one to maintain the leverage proportions (if
they worked OK), and couple of  blocks on either side, screwed to the
keybed, with a hinge pin through. You'd have to install a coil or leaf
spring, which would require counter boring, leather, etc. Or you could
maybe re-use the old part and install a spring across the break. If there's
enough wood there to hold the screws, that would minimize the design
hassles and woodwork and get it working with minimum angst. Cutting a
replacement out of pretty straight grained maple would be another
alternative if you have a bandsaw. It's mostly a matter of how much time,
trouble, and expense you want to go to.

Ron N