Pin Block

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 08:33:48 -0500

>The trick is to have a constant air flow onto the bit to keep it cool.  You
>need
>to rig up your air hose, (from an air compressor), onto the drill press
and aim
>a steady moderate stream right onto the bit.  Not only does this keep the bit
>from over heating, but it also blows away the chips as you are drilling.
>
>Rob Goodale, RPT
>Las Vegas, NV

Double drilling works fine too. a 1/4" hole with the first pass clears out
the bulk of the material, and it's not critical to keep the bit cool
because it's just a rough-in. A second pass with the final size bit removes
so little material that the bit doesn't tend to overheat nearly as much and
I think I can get a more uniform result this way.

Ron N