Precision Strobe Tuners

Michel Lachance michel_lachance@hotmail.com
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 09:41:00 EDT

Brian,

The stroboscopic display of the tuning device makes it much more precise in
terms of reading than any other common type of small electronic tuners
(Korg's, etc.).

However, the problem when we deal with pianos is that there is a stretch
curve caused by the inharmonicity, added to the fact that this stretch curve
is more likely to be very different from one piano to another.  In that
respect, the ETD's that could generate a stretching curve automatically, and
that could store those in memory, are much far ahead in terms of speed and
overall accuracy than a simple visual tuning device (Of course, I am talking
here about the accuracy of the kind of tuning that is demanded by a
particular piano and not the accuracy of the device itself).

My opinion is that if you intend to tune pianos AURALLY and want a very
precise and handy tuning fork, Precision Strobe might be then a very
interesting alternative.  If you want to tune VISUALLY though, you may want
to consider spending more dollars for purchasing a real piano tuning device.

BTW, one of those is the SAT II and I have one for sale...

Regards,

Michel Lachance, RPT