A= 440 Fork - advice please

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 22:04:56 -0500

   <<<<Caution; the Accu-fork or tuning fork for that matter are not as
accurate as the Accu-tuner. It is my feeling that nothing we do aurally is
as
accurate as these electronic devices and nor does it need to be for
providing the service we do to the musical world.>>>>

Doug,

What exactly do you mean by this statement?  Do you mean that it is easier
to get A49 exactly to 440 Hz visually rather than aurally?  Or are you
talking about the inherent deviations in any pitch source?  I remember
reading in my Accu-fork manual that the fork needs to be recalibrated only
once a year,  using, er, the SAT.

Also, I thought that the Accu-fork was the preferred pitch source these
days.  Why all this talk about using the metal things which vary with
temperature?  Isn't the Accu-fork much more accurate because it does not
fluctuate (compared to a metal fork) with temperature?  Just curious and
would like to hear some of the reasons why...

John Formsma