Tuning forks

Brian Henselman musicmasters@worldnet.att.net
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 22:26:09 -0500

>>Whatever did we do before the SAT?
>>Jeff Tanner, Piano Technician

>I don't know, but whatever it is, I'm still doing it.
>
>Susan

GRIN!  THAT'S A GOOD ONE!   Susan, if you're still an aural tuner, that make
TWO of us!  I still prefer driving a 5-speed manual transmission too.  I
can't imagine driving a sports car with a "girllllly" automatic!  Heh Heh,
just kidding, Susan.

A really good local former-aural tuner/technician tried once to sell the
virtues of his newly acquired ETD to me one day by saying, "Brian, an
Accu-tuner is just another tool.  It's like using a cordless screwdriver
instead of an old-fashioned manual screwdriver."

Well, I don't think that my using a cordless will make me lose my
hard-earned skills as an aural tuner.  However, relying on a machine to make
all of my decisions, (i.e. how much to stretch the pitch in an integrated
pitch-raise/tuning) isn't going to improve MY tuning skills either.

I'm content to learn from my successes and mistakes by tuning aurally.
However, I suspect that the day that I turn over control to a tuning
machine, is the day that I stop learning and improving MY tuning skills.

ETD's?  No thank you.  At least not until an SAT  comes with an integrated
coffee-maker for that much needed mid-day caffeine boost.

Cheers,
Brian Henselman