Tuning forks

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 14:21:49 -0500

Hi Brian,

    You don't _have_ to let an ETD do all your thinking, if used correctly.
There's
one thing I haven't seen mentioned here, yet. I've been an aural "concert"
tuner for over 20 yrs. and now use an SAT III to assist and improve my
tuning(s) and to enable me to do it quicker and with less stress. I have 4
S & S D's I have to tune very frequently and I've found that now I can do them
easier, quicker and more consistently good. Whether I have a bad cold, or not.
Like I do now. :-)
    Don't forget that with an ETD like the SAT or the Cybertuner, you can
record
your "best" aural tuning and then every time you duplicate it, you can also
tweak it, store that change(s) and you're constantly improving it to
satisfy your
(or anyone else's) aural sensibilities. Then the next time, all you're
doing is
duplicating an aural tuning electronically! On pianos that are tuned very
frequently by the same tuner, this can be invaluable. Especially in a
university
situation like mine.
    Then, especially, when you get "caught" and have to do a concert level
tuning
in a very short time, or in a noisy environment, you can do it and be pretty
confident of superior results, i.e. you don't have to spend time checking
to see
if any particular note is where you want it.
    Just _my_ $ .02. :-)

Avery