Tuning forks

Ward & Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 14:55:28 -0500

Dear Brian & List,

	I read the comments regarding tuning aurally or with the assist of an ETD
with interest. I began tuning with a machine and dispensed with it ASAP. For
20 years I tuned aurally successfully. My partner, Elizabeth Ward, who is
the finest aural tuner I have ever followed persuaded me to try an SAT
almost 2 years ago. Last December I began using TuneLab 97. I found that the
ETDs I had derided as an aural tuner were much improved over the machine I
started with. Actually, the challenge of interacting with the ETD has forced
me to become a better listener. The darn things just don't have a bad day!
	I would encourage any of you that has not taken time to find out more about
modern ETDs to attend classes on CyberTuner, AccuTuner, and TuneLab97 that
will be offered at the Annual Convention in Arlington. I believe you will be
intrigued. The consistency, accuracy, and programmability of the new crop of
ETDs are certainly impressive. Also, if you are interested in reproducing
historical or non equal temperaments they are certainly useful.
(See Ed Foote or David Lamoreaux teach on this in Arlington also)
	Finally, it is possible to tune an F3 to F4 temperament with an A fork
Brian. That is what I learned to do from George Defebaugh's classes. I
thought it was the only way for a long time. I was so much older then, I'm
younger than that now to quote Bob Dylan. To take my ETD you will have to
pry my cold dead fingers off of it.

See ya'll in ARLINGTON!

Dale
Dale Probst