phantom serial number

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 30 Oct 1999 22:00:43 EDT

In a message dated 10/29/99 5:25:19 PM Central Daylight Time,
nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET writes:

<< I have a customer that just had a Baldwin L swapped out under warranty.
 She's not happy with it, but that's another problem altogether. What's
 bothering her at this point is that there is no permanent serial number on
 the piano. It arrived with two pressure sensitive stickers with bar code
 and serial number, one on the plate, and one under the keybed. She's
 wondering where the piano came from, and under what circumstances, that it
 is essentially anonymous now. With no permanent serial number or model
 designation on the plate, how is there any legal way to track this piano?
 How does one insure something with no ID? How does one pursue further
 warranty claims on a piano that might very well not exist at all in
 official documentation? What's the deal? Can anyone tell me what's going on
 here? I don't need speculation, because I can spin plenty of paranoid
 scenarios of my own, but if anyone has some real information, I sure would
 like to know why this was done this way.

 Thanks, I hope.

 Ron N

Ron

The serial number is stamped on the underside of the keybed, hidden by the
legs. If you remove the tremble leg, you should find a number there, that
should correspond with the bar code number found on the piano. If it is not,
contact Baldwin.

Wim