A440 and the tuning exam (was A440=Fork)

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 04:03:17 +0100

Kent, all this is fine and well, and it points out a need in the
industry to
produce a more standardized pitch source (if indeed that is really
neccessary). But I fail to see how it should be neccessary to bring this
issue into the examination process. I give the following reasons.

1. Considering the time and effort it takes to set up a tuning exam, and
the
cost to the examinee, it is ridiculous to fail said examinee simply
because
his tuning fork is out of tolerance. If fork accuracy is such a big
deal, it
is easy enough to check its accuracy before setting up tests.

2. I can not see that the ability to manufacture or remanufacture a
tuning
fork has anything directly to do with the skills neccessary to tune a
piano.
This requirement in essence is out of scope.

3. There is a built in paradox to the testing procedure regarding this
point.
It consists of the fact that "real" A440 must be achieved, yet one must
achieve this aurally, not visually. The only possible point to insisting
on
the aural performance of this task is to prove the examinee can match
the
piano to the source with his ear. That in itself has nothing at all to
do
with what pitch the fork is at. The requirement that the fork be at real
440
is thereby isolated from the skill we are testing. If it was pitch
accuracy
that was paramount, then the requirement for aural achievement of this
pitch
would not be neccesary.

My point is simply that this kind of thing has no buisness being a
direct
part of the testing proceedure. Rather, (if it is deemed neccessary) it
should be a seperate pre-requisit for being allowed to take the tuning
exam
in the first place. On a par with the practical, and written parts of
the
exam. No one dissagrees with the need to provide accurate pitch sources.
But
it is not the tuners fault that his 80 dollar Primson Greely is two
cents off
because of temperature fluxuations. And if such errors are of earth
shaking
importance, then why not just allow for visual sources as well as
anything
else that gets the job done. ?

Sounds too me like some change in the test got implemented cause folks
got
the feeling they needed to do something, anything, but something.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway