Question on plate robustness in 1904 Bechstein.

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Wed, 1 Sep 99 17:02:37 +1000

Hi list,

Rob Gagnon wrote;

>Plan to move piano across country but heard that
>Bechsteins had a reputation for cracked plates.  Is this true
>and generally what precautions should be taken to prevent
>cracking the struts when moving.  Thanks.

Unless the piano is grossly mishandled, I doubt whether moving it is
likely to cause the plate to crack. However, the way that Bechsteins have
been manufactured has much to do with plate failures experienced.

We have rebuilt many Bechstein grand pianos over the years.

It is suprising how consistantly the plate is poorly fitted to the rim
and pin block in these pianos.

When the plate screws are removed, the plate will invariably will rise
away from the pin block and rim by up to 3mm and more in some places. It
almost seems as if the plate set bolts were, in many instances,
deliberately adjusted to push upwards on the hitch pin plate. This upward
pressure also encourages the failure of the back posts to inner rim
joints.

The propensity for Bechstein plates to break is not suprising. Grey cast
iron is noted for its lack of flexibility. It cannot be treated as if it
is a piece of wood.

Ron E Overs
Overs Pianos, Sydney

Email: ron@overspianos.com.au